Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Help for Altec MR 902-16 HF

  1. #1
    Inactive Member wtong's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2005
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Red face

    I bought a pair Altec MR 902-16 HF driver this afternoon, but I just find some web say it's frequence response is 5K~20K, not 500Hz to 20K. please help me, what's the driver's spec.?

    Can I use it for a 511B horn for 500 to 20K? I am use a pair Altec 1234 speakers.

    Thanks ahead.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    5 k - 20 kHz has to be a misprint, though if used with a 500 Hz XO it needs to be 4th order with ~ -10 dB of EQ to flatten it to 20 kHz, severely reducing power handling capability. Better IMO to use at least an 800 Hz XO for prosound use and if for HI-FI, some form of EQ to flatten its response out to 20 kHz.

    GM

  3. #3
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    The MR902-16HF is a SuperTweeeter. It cannot go down to 500 Hz - the horn is just too small.

    You can, however, take the driver off of the horn and use it with a 511 or 811, and sell the horn itself to someone else.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member cclark65's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2003
    Posts
    339
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'd gladly trade a good set of 511B horns that were designed to go down to 500Hz for those smaller MR horns. You can keep the drivers there, I just need the horns!

    Let me know if you are interested...maybe we can work out a deal.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member wtong's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2005
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    HI GM,

    In 1990 Altec catalog, the 902-16 HF is based on 902-16B and added a small horn. Yesterday, I opened the rear cover of the driver. a 6u/50V Cap. was in series on "+".

    After remove the small horn and this cap. it will be a 902-16B driver.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member cclark65's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2003
    Posts
    339
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You are correct. That driver can go down to 500hz with the right horn, and removal of the highpass filter (cap)

    The horns will not allow it to load that low, in order to get down to 500Hz, you need a pretty big horn, such as the 511b, or if you want to stick with the mantaray series, the MRII994A, which was the same as the 594, but has a 1" throat on it.
    You could get a MRII594, and use adapters also, which I believe would be altec partnumber 21216. I have one available, but not a pair.

    a pair of these went on ebay a while back for about 100 bucks.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Oops! Sorry about that!

    Obviously, I wasn't paying enough attention. My comments apply to the basic 902 driver less capacitor/lens.

    GM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.